Sunday 18 July 2010

Hello world

I arrive at this blog three weeks after the birth of my, son Hunter, born 28th June 2010. I also have a little girl of seventeen-months, Rain born 6th February 2009.

In my former life (pre-babies) I lived in London, worked in the Film Industry (Assistant Film Editor) and at a stage in my life where I could happily wile a way a lunch break in Liberty and spend several hundred pounds on a new bag, maybe a new dress, shoes... and not feel the slightest bit guilty about it. Although often this was a delayed reaction, the horror came later when I poured over my credit card bill! I met my husband in September 2004 when I brought his painting from Bar Chocolate, D'Arblay Street, London and he asked me out on a date (and yes he still cashed the cheque). A year later we set up home in East London and those times were cheerfully carefree, I was getting regular film work, had a busy social life and continued to indulge in my first love - shopping.

Then my biological clock started ticking and suddenly everything changed. The decision to move out of London wasn't a particularly easy one to make but inevitable, we wanted the best environment to bring up a child and decent schools. It did cause some adverse reaction from London friends, "why are you moving to the country!" I tried to explain that Tunbridge Wells wasn't the country but a busy virbrant town with classy restaurants, cafes and luxury retail, in fact it reminded me a little like Islington where I used to live, they even have a Carluccios (my staple-diet when I lived and worked in London). The fact that we knew no one in Tunbridge Wells didn't deter us and in the summer of 2008 we traded our Victorian semi for a Grade II-listed shop-fronted house in the heart of the Tunbridge Wells village. The house was in need of major renovation (took 4 months), we found out I was pregnant - yeah! and in September 2008 we tied the knot (I wore a gorgeous dress by Cymbeline 'Antibes' from MirrorMirror, Islington). Then in February 2009 came the arrival of our much anticipated daughter and life as we knew it was changed forever. Quickly followed by Hunter in June 2010.

As every mum knows it's a challenge to find even the smallest amount of time in your day to do something for yourself but I have been harbouring a desire to write for many years that it was a case of now or never. I have already written several short plays, one of which I adapted into a short film "Sucking is a Fine Quality in Women and Vacuum Cleaners" www.honeypotfilms.co.uk. I hooked up with my co-writer in the summer of 2009 and between us we have completed two screenplays and two contemporary romance novels. Now all we need is an agent. This is our challenge for this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment